-
September 27th, 2004, 09:10 PM
#1
HB Forum Owner
I got my first issue of American Girl magazine today (yay!) and wanted to share something.
A lot of us had wondered if AG would ever make a Japanese historical character who lived during WWII in the internment camps. Some of us thought it would be too scary of a topic for kids. However, the September/October issue has a one-page true story about two girls who lived there. It was handled very well in a way that wouldn't likely upset children.
I thought this was interesting and wanted to pass it on, even though I think the next historical doll (as of right now, "Rebekah") sounds more like a Jewish doll instead of a Japanese doll. I guess we won't know until she is released (and either would be great)...AG is good at surprising us! [img]biggrin.gif[/img] But, either way, they did a very good job of explaining the topic without making it sound scary.
-
September 27th, 2004, 10:56 PM
#2
Inactive Member
Yay for getting your first issue! Nothing quite as exciting as mail that isn't a bill [img]wink.gif[/img] .
I think AG does a good job handling sensitive issues like that... and I've had my fingers crossed for a historical Asian doll for ages now. It'd be different for AG if they released another doll in a time period they already had (WWII homefront Molly and an internment girl), but I suppose AG has a penchant for doing the new lately.
-
September 28th, 2004, 01:43 AM
#3
Inactive Member
That would be showing both sides of a time period rooted in upheaval and uncertainness. It would be much the same as what they did with Nellie and Samantha, IMO.
If they ever decided to do something like this with a Japanese girl in an internment camp, it would probably go over better as a Limited Edition doll. I'd like to see them do it. That's a part of history that tends to get swept under the rug, and we need to remember it and figure out why we reacted the way that we did, so that it doesn't happen again in the near future with people of Arabic descent. I think we're perfectly capable of doing something like that again if we don't take a good close look at the historical facts of the time, and then make an effort to not make that mistake again.
-
September 28th, 2004, 02:08 AM
#4
Inactive Member
I'm sure they did a good job with it and I'm sure they'd do well with books on the subject also...but the concern I think is over making a "luxury" doll and a whole series of outfits and accessories centered on the experience. IOW, should a collection of expensive playthings, as opposed to only books, be based on this event? It's almost as if, opposite of the intent, it would appear to consumers, and probably esp. those who were in the camps, that AG was making light of the situation. (I'd think of it kind of like if Addy's collection was all about her life as a slave, KWIM?) I'm not sure AG would be comfortable with that.
-
September 28th, 2004, 10:19 AM
#5
Inactive Member
I certainly don't speak for all Asians but I would think most Asians would be pleased to see their race represented. I also think it is important to tell the story as it is not emphasized in traditional history lessons. BTW, Melissa how do you know Rebbeca is next? When is she suppose to come out? I am actually hoping the Asian will be LE because I don't know if we can afford all these collections. But I would welcome any Asian doll.
-
September 28th, 2004, 11:21 AM
#6
Inactive Member
Oh yeah, I remember reading that story. I'm glad that AG is explaining about what some people had to go through back then in the name of war. It was also very interesting.
-
September 28th, 2004, 12:43 PM
#7
HB Forum Owner
lieu, Rebekah is the only active, live trademark with hints toward being historical (the last time I checked...but I should check again since they recently abandoned Tasha). Since their historical dolls are in production for years, I don't know when she would be coming, but this makes me think she would be the next one. By not changing the name this would allow the author to begin researching and writing her stories.
-
September 28th, 2004, 07:30 PM
#8
Inactive Member
The internment camps are mentioned in Welcome to Molly's World and AG magazine once did a story on a girl who was a Holocaust survivor living in a refugee camp in the US. It was called Suzy and Leah and very interesting and well written.
-
September 30th, 2004, 03:13 AM
#9
Inactive Member
There was also a good story several years back in the AG Mag about an exchange of dolls between Japan and the U.S. during the Great Depression during the 1930's. Did anyone see it? It was a 2-page story about a U.S. doctor who had been to Japan and saw the suffering there -- evidently the Depression hit Japan even harder than it did here. So he set up a fund for school children to contribute pennies towards buying American dolls to send to little girls in Japan. I've forgotten how many dolls were sent, but I believe there were hundreds. The Japanese sent back a series of large dolls, about 3 feet tall, dressed in ceremonial costumes that represented various provinces. I actually got to touch one because one of the museums in my home town (Springfield, MA) was given one of these rare dolls as a bequest. My mother knew the museum director so we were invited to watch her being unpacked, before she was placed on display! This was a wonderful exchange of friendship and culture that has received almost no publicity -- probably because WWII occurred soon after it.
On the topic of Japanese internment camps, George Takei (Mr. Sulu of Star Trek) grew up in one and included a very interesting description of his experiences in his autobiography.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks